[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:00:22 UTC 2015

On 21/10/15 17:37, Ole Traupe wrote:
> I think I finally managed to understand the [homes] part of the man
> pages, and what my problem is:
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/smb.conf.5.html
>
> The misunderstanding comes from my practice I learned on Windows to
> just share the "\\server\home" directory and to create per-user
> sub-folders (\\server\home\newuser) that *themselves are not shared*.
>
> If you - as you obviously should (at least referring to Samba) - put
> "\\server\newuser" as home dir path into your user config on the DC,
> the manpages start beginning to make sense: The Samba file server
> receiving the request to connect to \\server\newuser finds no
> appropriate share entry in the smb.conf and, thus, clones the content
> of the [homes] section (given the username exists and the password is
> correct) for creating a new share (actually shared, no simple
> subfolder of a share).
>
> So the user home must actually be a share and the [homes] section with
> the 'root preexec' parameter has to be defined on the Samba server
> hosting those home shares.
>
> Will try this tomorrow.

Ah, light dawns, you are confusing the 'homeDirectory' and the
'unixHomeDirectory' attributes, windows uses the first one and should as
you say contain something like ' \\server\newuser', whereas Unix uses
the last one and should contain the full Unix path to the users homedir
i.e. '/home/newuser'.

So what you are proposing to try tomorrow should work if you bear the
above in mind.

Rowland

Rowland