[Samba] Debug Samba/CUPS printing

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Oct 21 16:06:49 UTC 2015

Hello Melanie,

Am 21.10.2015 um 16:17 schrieb Melanie Desaive:
> My first question: Am I correct with my asumption that the jobs are
> passed through the four stages "Windows 7 Client -> Samba server -> CUPS
> server -> printer"?

If you have configured that way, then it's correct ;-)
Seriously, that are the typical steps, when you print through a Samba
printserver.

> But looking into the Samba logs I am really confused. I determined quite
> some messages that seem to be interesting, but nothing which definitely
> seems to say: "Job arrived/Job processed/Job forwarded". Is there some
> other source of information to query the necessary information?

Samba doesn't log print jobs. At least not at debug level 1, which is
what you usually have on production machines, if you don't want to fill
your HDD with logs :-)

> So my second question is: How can I best determine on the Samba server
> when a concrete job had been processed.

It's processed by Samba, when CUPS received the job. :-)

You can pipe the job through a script, that does the loggin. As an
inspiration, how to achieve that, you can look at something I wrote a
while ago for creating a virtual PDF printer
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Virtual_PDF_Printer). It was written
for lprng and I never finished to make this work with CUPS, but it could
be a first start for what you want.

Regards,
Marc