[Samba] Debug Samba/CUPS printing

Melanie Desaive desaive at gmx.de
Wed Oct 21 14:17:18 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am currently inspecting a problem with Windows7 / Samba / CUPS printing.

On one printer of our company the printjobs are getting heavily delayed.
The jobs are started from Windows 7 Workstations.

Tcpdump seems to show, that the jobs are handed through from

Windows 7 Client -> Samba server -> CUPS server -> printer and no
packets seem to bypass those stages. (e.g. no direct packets from
Windows Client to printer, oder CUPS server)

My first question: Am I correct with my asumption that the jobs are
passed through the four stages "Windows 7 Client -> Samba server -> CUPS
server -> printer"?

I I am right, all jobs should be handled on each intermediate server. On
the CUPSs server the logs are quite good to read and at that server I
can at least roughly determine at what time the jobs are processed.
Including information about username and filename.

But looking into the Samba logs I am really confused. I determined quite
some messages that seem to be interesting, but nothing which definitely
seems to say: "Job arrived/Job processed/Job forwarded". Is there some
other source of information to query the necessary information?

So my second question is: How can I best determine on the Samba server
when a concrete job had been processed.

---

The Samba server smb.conf options concerning CUPS/loggin setup are like
following:

	log file = /var/log/samba/smb-%m-%U.log
         log level = 4
	max log size = 3000
	printcap cache time = 5
	printcap name = cups
	cups server = m01cups01
	logon path =
	logon home =
	domain logons = Yes
	printer admin = root, administrator, @root, @domain_admins, ...
	# security = user und map to guest = Bad User sind wichtig fuer Point
and Print
	# Point and Print testen, ob es noch tut.
	# Druckerkram fuer Point and Print
	load printers = yes
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba

         # writeable = No hinzugefuegt wegen Point and Print
         writeable = No

         # printer admin hinzugefuegt wegen Point and Print
         # Point-and-Print-Beispiel-smb.conf enthaelt nur printer admin
= root
         printer admin = root, @it, domadm, ...

         # Hinweis: create mask ist bei der
Point-and-Print-Beispiel-smb.conf nicht gesetzt,
         #          kann also sein, dass man es deaktivieren muss
         create mask = 0700

         printable = Yes

         # Hinweis: print ok ist bei der
Point-and-Print-Beispiel-smb.conf nicht gesetzt,
         #          kann also sein, dass man es deaktivieren muss
         print ok = Yes

         guest ok = Yes
         browseable = No

[print$]
         comment = Printer Drivers

         # Hinweis: path ist in der Point-and-Print-Beispiel-smb.conf
/etc/samba/printers,
         #          sollte aber keine Rolle spielen
         path = /var/lib/samba/printers

         # Hinweis: write list ist in der
Point-and-Print-Beispiel-smb.conf root, @smbprintadm,
         #          sollte aber keine Rolle spielen

         write list = root, @it, domadm,

         browseable = yes
         guest ok = yes
         read only = yes