[Samba] unique index violation on objectSid on samba ad

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:54:38 UTC 2015

I tried to understand:
You have 2 DCs, so you have Samba4 acting as AD domain.
You are using VM for your DC.
You moved your DC so their IP and host name changed. These new DCs are
called "cloned DCs".

Now playing with your database on your cloned DC, Samba complains because
it can't index objectSID anymore.

You kept your old DCs. On these DC no issue when playing with the database.

If all that is true, just poweroff cloned DCs and start blank systems to
replace these stopped "cloned DCs". On these systems, install Samba and
join these Samba to your domain (in which you have now only non-cloned DC).
Once you will have one DC on the network where were the cloned-DCs, you can
seize FSMO roles on that DC.

Once the new DC on new network has grabbed FSMO roles you can:
- add new DC to that domain
- remove (demote) old DC, the ones used to cloned.