[Samba] Best strategy to move/upgrade Samba 3 PDC to new Samba 4 server

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:38:53 UTC 2015

To test this upgrade process you could copy your PDC system into some VM,
then run that VM in some network not accessible from your real PDC. And as
it is a VM, you can run another VM on same not-accessible network to run
your Samba4 and proceed to your tests.

To copy a system I expect tools are existing but you can also simply mount
each partition of your real PDC in some directory (ex: root FS is on sda2 :
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt && cd /mnt && find . | cpio -o >
/path/with/enough/space/rootfs.cpio).
You proceed for each real mounted partition (ie not /sys, /proc...) and
once in the VM, create partition, expend cpio file, run grub, reboot.

No more reason to be afraid ;)