[Samba] invalid value 'netbios backup domain controller'

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 18:17:15 UTC 2015

On 11/10/15 19:01, Ken Bass wrote:
> On 10/11/2015 01:02 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 11/10/15 17:10, Ken Bass wrote:
>>> I have been having issues with my Centos 7 Samba4 setup. Not sure if
>>> it is related to a recent samba package/version update, but things
>>> are no longer very stable.
>>> While looking at the logs, I see the following message on my BDC.
>>>
>>> WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'netbios backup domain controller'
>>> for parameter 'server role'
>>>
>>> This worked before and is consistent with the man page for the
>>> smb.conf file, so I am confused.
>>>
>>> My PDC is listed as 'classic primary domain controller' which does
>>> not generate an error message.
>>>

>> Does it work if you remove or comment out the line?
>
> It appears it works both with and without the line. I was just unsure
> why it is reporting a warning when the manual says it is valid.
> My security is set to 'user' (rather than domain).
>
> As far as my comment about things not as being very stable, I have a
> script that was modifying smb.conf and restarting the smb/nmb tasks
> every night. It seems like sometimes the restart would work, other
> times it fails (with BACKTRACE and core dumps). While looking at the
> logs, I saw the WARNING.

back on-list

So, it works if the line isn't there, but it still works if the line is
there and it throws an error

Pretty obvious cure, don't have the line in smb.conf, you do not need
it. The only place it is required is on an AD DC and the smb.conf for
this is created for you.

I am also intrigued, why are you modifying smb.conf and restarting samba
every night? most people set it once and then leave it alone.

This is for Andrew Bartlett:

This is the second time something like this has come up, are you now
prepared to accept the patch to remove the mention of 'server role' from
the example smb.conf, because I would now like to propose a patch for
the smb.conf manpage, something along the lines of 'Do not set server
role manually, it is not required and could cause problems'

Rowland