[Samba] Samba-AD-DC package question . . .

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Sat Oct 10 12:44:47 UTC 2015

I have an existing Samba-AD-DC built from Inverse packages,
v.4.1.18+dfsg-3~inverse1

I have OpenChangeServer installed on that machine, v.2.4-zentyal6

When I start OpenChange, it "shuts down" my Samba-AD-DC so that no one
can login.

To troubleshoot my problem, I've built a "new" Samba-AD-DC from the same
Inverse packages, but I see a slight difference in the installed
packages, and my question is whether they might be causing my problem.

*Specifically, could the presence of 'winbind' be causing my problem?*

on the original server (with the OpenChange problem) --

adam at sogo:~$ sudo dpkg --get-selections | egrep 'samba|smb|nmb|winbind'
libnss-winbind:amd64                         install
libpam-winbind:amd64                       install
libsmbclient:amd64                            install
python-samba                                    install
samba                                                install
samba-common                                 install
samba-common-bin                           install
samba-dev                                         install
samba-dsdb-modules                         install
samba-libs:amd64                              install
samba-vfs-modules                            install
smbclient                                            install
winbind                                               install
adam at sogo:~$

on the "new" server (without OpenChange at the moment) --

adam at eagle:~$ sudo dpkg --get-selections | egrep 'samba|smb|nmb|winbind'
python-samba                                    install
samba                                                install
samba-common                                 install
samba-common-bin                           install
samba-dev                                         install
samba-dsdb-modules                         install
samba-libs:amd64                              install
samba-vfs-modules                            install
adam at eagle:~$

The difference is in the 'winbind' and 'smbclient' packages.

I realize that Samba-AD-DC runs its own version of 'winbind' and I'm not
currently using it otherwise.

on the original server --

adam at sogo:~$ ./samba
nmbd start/running