[Samba] Samba AD PDC , LDAP and Single-Sign-On

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sat Oct 10 07:26:38 UTC 2015

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:07 Andrew Bartlett wrote

> For the pain that you are about to endure, I can only offer my apologies.

Apologies accepted! :) Seriously though, the Samba team has done a great job
with the AD stuff.  I was pretty much able to drop Samba4 in as a replacement
for our SBS 2008 with virtually no issues.  What issues I had were mostly
Microsoft idiosyncracies (refer to my GPO rant to Rowland).  I used the
Slackware as-shipped Samba4, provisioned (with BIND9_FLATFILE), added users
with RSAT ADUC and Win7 domain users were none the wiser, everything just
worked: redirected folders, RDC, SLQ Server "Windows Authentication", etc.  Good
job!

My quest to replace Micrsoft continues ...

For my immediate need, I'd like someone to give me the proverial "fish" and I'll
"learn to fish" later. Given that my AD domain users are group 100, and the AD
users UID range is 3000000-3000099, what should my idmap config settings look
like in the wiki-adapted 'member server' smb.conf shown below? Just tell me the
right answer, I'll figure out why later.

[global]
  netbios name = uCommon
  workgroup = HPRS
  security = ADS