[Samba] Make a share owned by a service account available to members of an AD group

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:47:01 UTC 2015

On 09/10/15 22:22, Tovey, Mark wrote:
>      So I made the primary group for the testuser account be smbgrp, and it's gidNumber is 30124.  Still nothing.  "getent passwd testuser" returns nothing unless testuser is in the local passwd file, and then it returns the attributes that are in the passwd file, not the AD system.

It always will if you have a local user with the same name as an AD
user, remove the local user.

On the Unix workstation:
Use the smb.conf from the member server page on the wiki (obviously
change the realm etc to match yours)

On the DC:
create a new user (one that doesn't exist on the workstation), give that
user the uidNumber '10000'
Give Domain Users the gidNumber '10000'

Back to the workstation:
flush the winbind cache with 'net flush cache'
run 'net ads testjoin' it should return 'Join is OK'

run 'getent passwd <theNewADuser>'

This should return something like
'thenewaduser:*:10000:10000::/home/YOURDOMAIN/thenewaduser:/bin/false'

If it doesn't, then you have something else set incorrectly.

Rowland