[Samba] Samba AD PDC , LDAP and Single-Sign-On

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Fri Oct 9 17:09:46 UTC 2015

Rowland - thanks for your reply. I did send a message after this one you
responded to with several other questions, but I'll pursue questioning on
GID/UID in this reply as that is what you've mainly discussed. But, please check
out that next email for other questions. Thanks.

For a particular domain user in the AD, wbinfo gives:

$ wbinfo -i mark
HPRS\mark:*:3000026:100:Mark Foley:/home/HPRS/mark:/bin/false

Main question: what should the range settings be in my client smb.conf? Or, are
these really bad GID/UIDs to use and I should change them?

Background: why do I have these GID(100) UIDs(300000xx)? The answer is that I
created domain users on the AD via RSAT > Active Directory Users and Computers.
These are apparently the GID and UID range assigned by default. The ADUC >
username > properties > Unix Attributes, UID and GID fields are blank, so I
guess 100:30000xx are picked by default.

Can I work with what I have or should I change these?

There are no other actual local users on either the AD or client aside from me
(100:1000 mfoley) other than the built-in accounts (root, bin, daemon, adm, lp
...) and services accounts (dovecot, spamd, mysql, ...).  No other actual local
users.

How do you recomend I proceed with my idmap range configuration?

--Mark