[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Thu Oct 8 03:29:48 UTC 2015

Maurik,

You are right. I am currently using 4.1.17 and have the same failed login
messages as you describe. There is, however, a bit more information further down
in the logfile:

[2015/10/07 16:51:24.076283, 2] authentication for user [HPRS/Administrator] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
  auth_check_password_send: Checking password for unmapped user [HPRS]\[Administrator]@[ROVER]

This latter string (with no timestamp, making it hard to find/correlate) does
give the hostname of the offending computer, but not the IP.  Yes, the IP would
be very useful. In this case ROVER is my personal laptop, but all it gives me is
the hostname. The IP would indicate if the miscreant was connecting from inside the
domain (probably OK), or outside the domain (probably very bad). An IP would
also give us a clue as to which IP[range] to firewall if needed.

--Mark