[Samba] Samba 4 PDC and Windows Join

Alex Winzer alex.e-mail at gmx.de
Wed Oct 7 21:37:39 UTC 2015

On 07.10.15 20:07, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-10-02 at 09:14 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
>> If I setup a samba 4 PDC (not AD) like I do with samba 3, I still
>> have
>> to change the follow registry key on Win 7/8/?/10 for join it to
>> samba
>> domain ?
>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorksta
>>> tion\Parameters]
>>> "DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
>>> "DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000
>>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Netlogon\Para
>>> meters]
>>> "DisablePasswordChange"=dword:00000001
> I don't know about DisablePasswordChange, but the first block is
> required if you are not running an AD DC.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_settings_for_NT4-style_domains

I can confirm that. I have 6 Windows 10 machines here joined to a Samba
4.1.18-3.33.2-3407 domain on openSUSE 13.1.

@Dario Lesca
How is your progress?
I'm asking just in case you use Roaming Profiles. I'm trying this for
weeks now without success.
With the standard exclusions in [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ExcludeProfileDirs] almost nothing is saved.
I can't run any Apps.
And if you change the registry key and include (=not exlcude)
AppData\Local\* I can't even open the start menu.

I already mentioned this problem to MS and on this list. But nobody
answers. I still can't believe, I'm the only one since I got the same
problem with 6 machines on a clean Windows 10 installation, each. So at
least I'm interested if someone else is having the same problem.

Yours, Alex