[Samba] Installation of Samba 4.3 on Ubuntu Server 15.04 failed

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 08:45:33 UTC 2015

Firstly, please do not send emails directly to me (unless I ask you to),
keep everything on list.

On 06/10/15 09:20, mathias dufresne wrote:
> That's why I insisted to advise users to not just run ./configure but
> rather ./configure --help or directly
> ./configure --enable-fhs --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
> --localstatedir=/var.

Running './configure --help' is one thing, putting everything into the
places that a distro package would is another and one I cannot recommend.

> Yes it pushes stuff into /usr and others system folders but it avoid
> newbies to have PATH issues. And anyway most of them are too afraid to
> upgrade their samba once it's installed, so the argument about upgrade
> is not really valid to me who's using only VM for systems hosting
> services...

Yes, there is the path problem, but it is a one off thing, once set
correctly, you do not need to set it again.
New users can then refer to the Samba wiki and reliably expect the info
there to be relevant to their setup. As to upgrading to a newer version,
this is very easy, you just need to compile the new version and install
it over the old version, you do need to stop samba before running 'make
install' and of course, back everything up first, but you would do both
of these however you upgrade.

> Anyway, have a nice day ;)

I always do :-)

Rowland