[Samba] Samba 4 PDC and Windows Join

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Oct 5 07:10:29 UTC 2015

What i mean with correct settings is.

Correct dhcp options / DNS settings
http://www.ipamworldwide.com/dhcp-options/isc-dhcpv4-options.html

Dhcp with sending dnsdomain name like test.internal.tld
When a pc is joined you see in windows pcname.test.internet.tld.
a "search domain " as test.internal.tld

things like that.
For a Samba 3.6.x
Use at least.
Options 6,44,46(2),119
(Optional, 3,4,40,41,42,81)

You can fiddel with option 81
Read here :
http://www.ipamworldwide.com/dhcp-options/fqdn-option.html

And people may think why option 3(gateway) in optional,
Well, only registered devices get internet access here and with proxy.
With just a "dhcp ip" you cant do anything in my network.
A "normal" user sets option 3 in the dhcp pool.

Just make sure it works with tests below from any pc/server.
And samba uses "proxy dns = yes"

Ping domain.tld  ( specianly with a Samba 4 ADDC domain )
Ping server.domain.tld
Ping client.domain.tld
Ping client
Ping server