[Samba] Question Wiki Setup a Samba Active Directory Domain Controller

oeh univie edv lists edv-lists at oeh.univie.ac.at
Sun Oct 4 23:00:57 UTC 2015

Hi again,

I refer to
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_your_Samba_Domain_Controller

Thank you for this great wiki! I run all the tests and everything looks
perfect!

I encounter just a little difference here. Actually I thought that there
should be no Master and Workgroup for a AD DC. (as given in the wiki and
in Stefan Kania's book "Samba 4)

Why is it at my installation (Debian 8.2., Samba 4.1.17)?... ow, and after
I restarted the computer samba, nmbd and smbd were running.... I didn't
install any start script. I thought nmbd is not needed on AD DC, is it?
I'd also prefer a setup where my windows client will not be able to browse
the AD DC.

>smbclient -L localhost -U%
Domain=[BLA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.17-Debian]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk
        sysvol          Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.1.17-Debian)
Domain=[BLA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.17-Debian]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            MYHOSTNAME

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = BLA
        realm = AD.BLA.AT
        netbios name = MYHOSTNAME
        dns forwarder = my dns IP
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ad.bla.at/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

Actually this mailing list keeps me alive. As I cannot give you anything
back at the moment (still DAU knowledge status here), is it possible to
donate a little money? If appreciated, send a link or howto.

kind regards, birgit