[Samba] Problem with old version of Samba - 2.2.7a

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Oct 4 12:47:54 UTC 2015

Am 04.10.2015 um 14:37 schrieb Frank Millman:
>> "Rowland Penny"  wrote in message news:561110D0.3050401 at gmail.com...
>> On 04/10/15 12:20, Frank Millman wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > This is a question about a very old version of Samba - 2.2.7a. Hope
>> that > is ok.
>>
>> Just what software is it that forces the use of a 12 year old distro
>> and using a long dead version of Samba?
>>
>> Can you not find something a bit newer to do the same thing?
>>
>> The problem is that whilst you may be able to make it work now,
>> microsoft may come along and change windows so that it doesn't. You
>> will probably be better off trying to find newer software.
>>

> Fair comment, but the fact is that it is some legacy software that I am
> trying to get rid of, but it always takes longer than you hope, so I
> have to keep it hanging around for a while longer.
>
> If there is no other solution, I will try to implement Harald's suggestion

that's exactly what virtualization is made for

i doubt that you need the old samba and likely the "legacy software"
does not need on the same machine / virtual machine then your fileserver

in general one should sepearte different servcies in it's own containers
and now that we do not need a physical machine for that and the
virtualization overhead on reasonable recent hardware is nearly zero
there is no point in mix things
______________________________

BTW: when you start with virtualization take the time and think well
about which operating system, it's life-cycle and upgrade path over
years and then first create a "golden master" with a minimum setup and
your customizations you want on every machine (shell aliases, symlinks
in /root/ to often accessed common config files, security
configurations..) and then clone this machine for the production servers

you save a lot of time by doing some customizations once and have a
clear start when you for whatever prupose need a new server

while doing that i also created some scripts to fetch updates on a
dedicated VM, move /var/yum/cache/ packages to a local directory, run
"createrepo" on that folder and export it via FTP so that all other
servers don't need to download updates from the internet and have only
the internal repo enabled

saves time, bandwidth and you can be sure that anything has the same
package versions and not randomly hit a newer or older mirror, well,
that admin machine has all packages installed which are in use to fecth
really all updates