[Samba] Wiki news: Build Samba, Join DCs

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 18:37:35 UTC 2015

On 02/10/15 19:02, Steve Ankeny wrote:
> On 09/29/2015 01:23 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

> The join was successful but resolving the A record failed --
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Check_and_fix_DNS_entries_on_DC_joins
>
> adam at eagle:~$ samba-tool dns add DC sogo.smbdomain.com DC A 10.99.0.2
> -Uadministrator
> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (-1073741628,
> 'NT_STATUS_UNEXPECTED_NETWORK_ERROR')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
> line 175, in _run
>     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line
> 1059, in run
>     dns_conn = dns_connect(server, self.lp, self.creds)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line
> 40, in dns_connect
>     dns_conn = dnsserver.dnsserver(binding_str, lp, creds)
> adam at eagle:~$
>
> 'sogo.smbdomain.com' is DC1 and the command is being run on DC1
>
> I've seen the same error on DC1
>
> It looks like a missing package to me or a missing link.  Is it
> 'netcmd' or 'dns.py'?

I don't think you have anything missing, I think you are possibly
formatting the command incorrectly, it should be:

If you run the command on DC1, you can replace <server> with 127.0.0.1,
<zone> needs to be your dns domain name (is your domain name
'sogo.smbdomain.com'), <name> is the short hostname of the new DC (is DC
the correct hostname), <data> with the ip of the new DC. if everything
is ok, it should work, provided that Samba is running on the DC that you
are running the command on.

What does resolving the new DC actually show?

Rowland