[Samba] authentication problems sernet-samba

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 14:06:01 UTC 2015

On 02/10/15 14:34, Lulzim KELMENI wrote:

> No, it is in production, i just change the real domain name by
> DCTEST for confidentiality.
>
> *Avahi is not installed in our server
> (print server is in an other server)

You sure about that ?
Did you remove it after installation of the OS, because it is installed
as standard.

> *resolv.conf is good.
>
> * I read
> the documentation here
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
> [1] , and i can't find where it is said to modify the nsswitch.conf in
> a server which is ONLY domain controller. We have modified it in an
> other ubuntu server (the domain member) as descibed here
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server [2]
>

> *We have not iTunes installed in our PC.
>
> When this problem occurs,
> no computer can authenticate in the domain (we have actually 170 PC in
> the domain and it will soon grow to 700). The only solution is to
> restart samba. I can NOT reproduce the problem : i have to wait until it
> occurs. This authetication problem happend 7 times from 04/06/2015 until
> now.

Then it is probably not a Samba problem, can you change the log level to
10 and then see if something pops up.
I take it that you just use the DC for authentication and no files are
served from it (as an aside, you really should have at least two DCs,
especially if you are planning to grow the domain), if this is the case,
you do not need the nsswitch changes.
Have you looked in the event logs of a PC when it cannot authenticate?

Rowland