[Samba] Fwd: net rpc lookup from group names that start with "-"

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:02:28 UTC 2015

Hi Rowland,

I'm not good at betting :p

I didn't meant to be rough answering that. My point was the same as for the
difference between advising to run ./configure or ./configure --help: give
users information for they deal with issue themselves. That's why I took
time to explain these behaviours, with errors as shown below.

Now if it works it's because Samba is well developed, or they - and we,
users - are lucky. Most commands don't take backslash in account:

$ echo toto > -h
$ cat -h
cat : option invalide -- 'h'
$ cat \-h
cat : option invalide -- 'h'
$ cat '\-h'
cat: \-h: No such file or directory
$ cat "\-h"
cat: \-h: No such file or directory
$ cat -- -h
toto

Anyway all that shows I was wrong: "\-h" is not interpreted by the shell
and the command receives \-h as file name, which is not what I expected.
I'm growing old perhaps, I don't take enough time to test, too much trust
into my experience, which is always a bad thing.

Sorry to have been rude, have a nice day ;)

Cheers,

mathias