[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Jonathan S. Fisher jonathan at springventuregroup.com
Mon Nov 30 20:52:36 UTC 2015

/etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.127.129
search windows.corp.XXX.com

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1   localhost
127.0.1.1 freeradius.windows.corp.XXX.com freeradius
192.168.127.131 whiskey.windows.corp.XXX.com whiskey
192.168.112.4 wine..windows.corp.XXX.com wine

 /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
default_realm = WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM
krb4_config = /etc/krb.conf
krb4_realms = /etc/krb.realms
kdc_timesync = 1
ccache_type = 4
forwardable = true
proxiable = true

v4_instance_resolve = false
v4_name_convert = {
host = {
rcmd = host
ftp = ftp
}
plain = {
something = something-else
}
}
fcc-mit-ticketflags = true

[realms]
WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM = {
kdc = whiskey.windows.corp.XXX.com:88
kdc = wine.windows.corp.XXX.com:88
admin_server = whiskey.windows.corp.XXX.com:749
}

[appdefaults]
pam = {
ticket_lifetime = 1d
renew_lifetime = 1d
forwardable = true
proxiable = false
retain_after_close = false
minimum_uid = 0
debug = false
}

[domain_realm]
.windows.corp.XXX.com = WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM
windows.corp.XXX.com = WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM

[login]
krb4_convert = true
krb4_get_tickets = false

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 30/11/15 20:30, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
>
>> Same results with that command. And the same DNS query occurred
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Rowland Penny <
>> rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 30/11/15 20:01, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
>>
>>         Hey guys,
>>
>>         I've successfully joined the domain with "sudo net ads join
>>         -k". However,
>>         when I try to run this: "sudo net rpc info" I get this error:
>>         "Unable to
>>         find a suitable server for domain WINDOWS"
>>
>>         I dumped the DNS requests and it looks like the problem is
>>         that it's asking
>>         for ldap entries under the workgroup name, not the FQDN:
>>
>>          From Wireshark:
>>
>>         Queries
>>         _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS: type SRV, class IN
>>         Name: _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS
>>
>>         Ok great, so if I dig that with the command: "dig
>>         _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS"  dig times out. If I dig the
>>         FQDN: "dig
>>         _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM
>>         <http://msdcs.WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM>" I get a response instantly.
>>
>>         Is this a problem with my windows domain controller (how do I
>>         make it
>>         respond to those queries)? Or is this a problem with my samba
>>         setup?
>>
>>         Samba version:  4.2.5-SerNet-Ubuntu-8.trusty
>>
>>         Here is my smb.conf:
>>
>>         [global]
>>         security=ads
>>         realm=WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM <http://WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM>
>>
>>         workgroup=WINDOWS
>>         domain master=no
>>         local master=no
>>         preferred master=no
>>         load printers=no
>>         printing=bsd
>>         printcap name=/dev/null
>>         disable spoolss=yes
>>         idmap backend=tdb
>>         idmap uid=10000-99999
>>         idmap gid=10000-99999
>>         winbind enum users=yes
>>         winbind enum groups=yes
>>         winbind use default domain=yes
>>         winbind nested groups=yes
>>         winbind refresh tickets=yes
>>         winbind offline logon=yes
>>         template shell=/bin/false
>>         client use spnego=yes
>>         client ntlmv2 auth=yes
>>         encrypt passwords=yes
>>         restrict anonymous=2
>>         log file=/var/log/samba/samba.log
>>         log level=2
>>         dcerpc endpoint servers=remote
>>         wins support=no
>>

>>     Try it like this: sudo net rpc info -UAdministrator
>>
>>     Rowland
>>

> OK, what have you got in /etc/resolv.conf & /etc/krb5.conf
>

> Rowland
>
> --

Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from
any computer.