[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Jonathan S. Fisher jonathan at springventuregroup.com
Mon Nov 30 20:01:56 UTC 2015

Hey guys,

I've successfully joined the domain with "sudo net ads join -k". However,
when I try to run this: "sudo net rpc info" I get this error: "Unable to
find a suitable server for domain WINDOWS"

I dumped the DNS requests and it looks like the problem is that it's asking
for ldap entries under the workgroup name, not the FQDN:

>From Wireshark:

Queries
_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS: type SRV, class IN
Name: _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS

Ok great, so if I dig that with the command: "dig
_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS"  dig times out. If I dig the FQDN: "dig
_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM" I get a response instantly.

Is this a problem with my windows domain controller (how do I make it
respond to those queries)? Or is this a problem with my samba setup?

Samba version:  4.2.5-SerNet-Ubuntu-8.trusty

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
security=ads
realm=WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM
workgroup=WINDOWS
domain master=no
local master=no
preferred master=no
load printers=no
printing=bsd
printcap name=/dev/null
disable spoolss=yes
idmap backend=tdb
idmap uid=10000-99999
idmap gid=10000-99999
winbind enum users=yes
winbind enum groups=yes
winbind use default domain=yes
winbind nested groups=yes
winbind refresh tickets=yes
winbind offline logon=yes
template shell=/bin/false
client use spnego=yes
client ntlmv2 auth=yes
encrypt passwords=yes
restrict anonymous=2
log file=/var/log/samba/samba.log
log level=2
dcerpc endpoint servers=remote
wins support=no

--
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject