[Samba] samba430-jessie script question

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Nov 30 16:11:14 UTC 2015

Thank you.

And from what I have read. When the next "newer" version is released,
stop samba services (all of them) and run the script and the script will
replace the previously installed version by installing the newer version
into the same location?

---

_______________________________

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846
www.donelsontrophy.com [2]

"Everyone deserves an award!!"

On 2015-11-30 07:35, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 30/11/15 12:54, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:
>
>> All software development progresses so quickly that anyone's script may not be current. Even a script I may have written. And that is the overall challenge with scripts, in general. We users become dependent on scripts. And we users need the learn independence. I have been learning what scripts do and how scripts do what they do. I was wanting to install 4.3.1 on Debian8 and see if I encountered bug #11573. (Had a CentOS 7 VM that will not domain provision due to bug #11573.) This holiday experiment idea will now end. Waiting until after v4.3.2 is released. Patience is a good thing. Thanks for suggestions and help, both Louis and Rowland.
>
> How about this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> ## where to build samba.
> # NOTE: Samba will be installed to /usr/local/
> # if build dir given and exists, then it will
> # used as build base, else /usr/src will be used
> if [ -n $1 ] && [ -d $1 ]; then
> SOURCELOCATION=$1
> else
> SOURCELOCATION=/usr/src
> fi
>
> # Packages required to build Samba4
> apt-get install -y build-essential libacl1-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libreadline-dev python-dev libpam0g-dev python-dnspython gdb pkg-config libpopt-dev libldap2-dev dnsutils libbsd-dev attr krb5-user docbook-xsl libcups2-dev acl libkrb5-dev libssl-dev xsltproc krb5-config libpam-krb5 libgnutls28-dev
>
> # NOTE: to build on wheezy, replace 'libgnutls28-dev' with 'libgnutls-dev'
>
> echo "Compiling samba."
> echo "Please wait, this could take some time."
>
> # get latest samba tarball
> HERE=$(pwd)
> cd ${SOURCELOCATION}
> # NOTE: it downloads the latest tarball!
> wget -cq https://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-latest.tar.gz [1]
> tar zxf samba-latest.tar.gz
> cd samba*
> ./configure && make && make install
> cd ${HERE}
>
> # Set the path in /etc/profile.d/samba4.sh
> PATHTEST=$(echo $PATH | grep [s]amba)
> if [ -x "$PATHTEST" ]; then
> echo "PATH=/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin:$PATH" > /etc/profile.d/samba4.sh
> export PATH=/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin:$PATH
> fi
>
> echo "Samba compiled."
>
> exit 0
>
> This will install the packages required to build Samba on debian jessie, then download the latest Samba tarball, unpack it and then compile it.
>
> It has been tested (on Devuan jessie), it provisions as a DC and joins as a DC.
>
> Rowland

Links:
------
[1] https://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-latest.tar.gz