[Samba] samba430-jessie script question

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Nov 30 12:54:19 UTC 2015

All software development progresses so quickly that anyone's script may
not be current. Even a script I may have written. And that is the
overall challenge with scripts, in general. We users become dependent on
scripts. And we users need the learn independence. I have been learning
what scripts do and how scripts do what they do.

I was wanting to install 4.3.1 on Debian8 and see if I encountered bug
#11573. (Had a CentOS 7 VM that will not domain provision due to bug
#11573.) This holiday experiment idea will now end.

Waiting until after v4.3.2 is released. Patience is a good thing.

Thanks for suggestions and help, both Louis and Rowland.

---

_______________________________

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846
www.donelsontrophy.com [3]

"Everyone deserves an award!!"

On 2015-11-30 02:57, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:

> Hi bob,
>
> I suggest, you stick on 4.3.0, if you use my script.
> I dont advice to compile yourself, but thats what you want.
>
> You can use an unmodified packages also, but you need 2 or 3 packages from debian sid/experimental
>
> To keep is all safe do the following.
> Create an preferences file so you can ping the experimental repo.
> cat << EOF >> /etc/apt/preferences.d/experimental-samba
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=jessie,o=Debian
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=jessie,l=Debian-Security
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=jessie-updates
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=jessie-backports
> Pin-Priority: 400
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 100
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 400
>
> EOF
>
> cat << EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/experimental.list
> #
> deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ [1] experimental main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ [1] experimental main non-free contrib
> EOF
>
> Run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
> Of ok, you wil not see an upgrade ( wel at least nog from experimental )
>
> Now, type
> apt-get build-dep samba
> apt-get source samba -b
>
> and you have your samba debs when finished.
> If it did complain about some packages, install them like
> apt-get install -t experimental PACKAGE_NAME
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis
> [...]
by following the wiki. You can then easily update to a new version when it comes out. You will also find that all the examples on the wiki will be valid, no need to alter paths etc. If you must use a script, write your own, after all, a script is mostly just a list of the commands you would enter one after another. Rowland -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba [2]

Links:
------
[1] http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/
[2] https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba