[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 15:43:48 UTC 2015

On 27/11/15 15:24, mathias dufresne wrote:

> [...]
>

>                     You mean Samba DCs or DCs in general?
>
>                     I am not sure I understand the above. Do you
>                     suggest to create another NS record for the
>                     Second_DC, or not to?
>
>                     In the resolv.conf on my member servers both DCs
>                     are listed as DNS servers. I like to think that
>                     the member servers eventually ask the second DNS
>                     server, if the first won't respond. This seems to
>                     be reflected by ping taking more than 5 s for the
>                     first packet to arrive.
>
>                     BUT what does the second DNS server (Second_DC)
>                     reply? Which logon server does it announce?
>

>                 DNS can be very confusing. You do not need to create a
>                 NS record for your second DC if the zone is directory
>                 integrated. By default the DC is authoritative for
>                 that zone.
>

>             Probably with windows it is, but not with Samba AD, you
>             only get one NS and one SOA. The only authoritative Samba
>             AD DC is the first one, when you join a second DC, it runs
>             the same code that created the SOA during the first DCs
>             provision and because the SOA already exists, it fails.
>
>             Rowland
>

>         Yikes! Are you saying DC's with directory integrated zones are
>         not authoritative for them? That means a NS record needs to be
>         created manually for each DC added.
>

>     Yes, that's about the size of it. no matter how many DCs you join,
>     you only have one NS, the original DC.
>
>     I have been trying to alter the code, but I am struggling to get
>     another NS record added during the join, it doesn't help that I
>     have no idea what a windows DC SOA record looks like, does each DC
>     have a separate SOA record? or is it like the Samba SOA record and
>     there is only one with multiple NS records?
>
> Yes each Windows has SOA record. In fact I expect there is no SOA
> record really on MS AD. I expect SOA management is something like when
> a DC receive request for SOA it replies "I am SOA".
> On MS AD all DC have a NS record. My second mail about that thread
> from Sunday the 22nd of November is showing different DNS queries I
> did on MS AD domain (a 2008 r2 domain with only 2 DC, Microsoft DC).
>
> Finally I would look into samba_dnsupdate to add creation of NS
> record. I expect this tool is run when samba starts.
> Unfortunately I did not find the right option to add to
> samba_dnsupdate for it really creates DNS entries. Even with kerberos
> ticket already created before running that command. I received a mail
> recently about another Samba user using internal DNS for his AD hosted
> by Samba. This person was facing same issue has me (missing DNS
> entries, samba_dnsupdate not adding entries). To workaround that issue
> he modified samba_dnsupdate and he commented that line (line 413):
> os.unlink(tmpfile)
>
> Doing that samba_dnsupdate does not remove tmp file. This tmp file
> contains nsupdate commands which are launched by samba_dnsupdate.
> Finally he uses these nsupdate commands from tmp files without -g
> option and he's DNS entries are now created.

If you follow the 'join' code, you end up at 'add_at_record' in
sambadns.py. This is run by the initial provision and again when any DCs
are joined. I have tried adding a check to see if the SOA exists and
only creating it if it doesn't, otherwise just add the NS records etc, I
can add the A record for the subsequent DC bit not its NS record. This
is what the initial SOA record looks like:

    dn:
DC=@,DC=samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dnsNode
instanceType: 4
whenCreated: 20151106115624.0Z
uSNCreated: 3657
showInAdvancedViewOnly: TRUE
name: @
objectGUID: 7ad014c4-c1e9-4cb4-9f0d-96d0272af23d
objectCategory:
CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
dc: @
whenChanged: 20151122115408.0Z
dnsRecord:     NDR: struct dnsp_DnssrvRpcRecord
         wDataLength              : 0x004f (79)
         wType                    : DNS_TYPE_SOA (6)
         version                  : 0x05 (5)
         rank                     : DNS_RANK_ZONE (240)
         flags                    : 0x0000 (0)
         dwSerial                 : 0x00000062 (98)
         dwTtlSeconds             : 0x00000e10 (3600)
         dwReserved               : 0x00000000 (0)
         dwTimeStamp              : 0x00377e73 (3636851)
         data                     : union dnsRecordData(case 6)
         soa: struct dnsp_soa
             serial                   : 0x00000063 (99)
             refresh                  : 0x00000384 (900)
             retry                    : 0x00000258 (600)
             expire                   : 0x00015180 (86400)
             minimum                  : 0x00000e10 (3600)
             mname                    : dc1.samdom.example.com
             rname                    : hostmaster.samdom.example.com

dnsRecord:     NDR: struct dnsp_DnssrvRpcRecord
         wDataLength              : 0x001a (26)
         wType                    : DNS_TYPE_NS (2)
         version                  : 0x05 (5)
         rank                     : DNS_RANK_ZONE (240)
         flags                    : 0x0000 (0)
         dwSerial                 : 0x00000062 (98)
         dwTtlSeconds             : 0x00000384 (900)
         dwReserved               : 0x00000000 (0)
         dwTimeStamp              : 0x00000000 (0)
         data                     : union dnsRecordData(case 2)
         ns                       : dc1.samdom.example.com

dnsRecord:     NDR: struct dnsp_DnssrvRpcRecord
         wDataLength              : 0x0004 (4)
         wType                    : DNS_TYPE_A (1)
         version                  : 0x05 (5)
         rank                     : DNS_RANK_ZONE (240)
         flags                    : 0x0000 (0)
         dwSerial                 : 0x00000062 (98)
         dwTtlSeconds             : 0x00000384 (900)
         dwReserved               : 0x00000000 (0)
         dwTimeStamp              : 0x00000000 (0)
         data                     : union dnsRecordData(case 1)
         ipv4                     : 192.168.0.5

uSNChanged: 29974
distinguishedName:
DC=@,DC=samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com

I can add the NS record for the second DC with samba-tool, but not by
modifying the 'add_at_record' code.

I tried doing an internet search, but cannot find anything that shows
the SOA objects in AD for a windows server, so I don't know if windows
uses separate SOA object records for each DC, or is it just one SOA
object record (like Samba uses) with an NS record added for each DC.

Rowland