[Samba] Permission Denied

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Nov 25 11:51:06 UTC 2015

If this is about problems on a member server, read on.
If its on a ADDC, then i dont know, but good info below. ;-)

( Rowland, maybe a thing to put on the wiki also, read on..  )

If you only use the share from windows machines, make your life easy.
Add : acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes to the share.
And set the correct rights from within windows.

If you do use the shares /folders also from within linux.
Set UID/GID for all (needed) users/groups.
Use the user_mapping in samba to map root to the domain administrator,
And/or set user Administrator on the folder
now set the correct rights from withing windows.

Above can be done on ADDC or member server but there is a big differens.

Regarding.. ( more explained )
> sudo ls -l /srv/samba/
> > drwxrwxr-x  2 root domain admins 4096 Nov 15 11:51 Finance
> > drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root domain admins 4096 Nov 25 08:08 home

> When i try to set the ACLs in Windows I get "Permission Denied"

Yes, totaly correct, i assum you did read:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs
which says,
# chmod g=rwx /srv/samba/Demo/
# chgrp "Domain Admins" /srv/samba/Demo/

But this example is done on a addc server, and not on a member server.
On a ADDC user Administrator is automaticly mapped to root,
id administrator on addc results in UID 0 and imo most important info,
is missing on the wiki.

I also assume your doing this on a member server.
Which is ok also, but in the 2 ls example above.

drwxrwxr-x  2 root domain admins
does not work an a member server without the user mapping or a bit different rights.
So set Adminstrator:"domain admins" on this folder OR use the user mapping.

And make user that /srv/samba at least has 2775 rights.
And maybe a chgrp "Domain Admins" /srv/samba

Greetz,

Louis