[Samba] getting started with GPOs

Jeff Dickens jeff at seamanpaper.com
Tue Nov 24 23:32:43 UTC 2015

Ok, I have some results.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Robert Watson <robert at gillecaluim.com>
wrote:

> I don't have a solution other than creating gpo on a win7 client.  I got
> the same issue with a win 10 clients
> On Nov 23, 2015 3:30 PM, "Jeff Dickens" <jeff at seamanpaper.com> wrote:
>
>> Running the sernet distribution of Samba 4.2 on Ubuntu 14 LTS.
>>
>> I have a DC and a Member Server and I have a Windows 8.1 workstation on
>> which I can log in and get a drive mapped to a share on the Member Server.
>>
>> I want to try setting up a GPO.  The goal is to redirect the documents
>> folder on windows workstations to a network share.
>>
>> So I start the Group Policy Management tool on my windows 8.1 workstation,
>> which is logged into the domain as Administrator.
>>
>> I see "A Processing error occurred collecting data using this base domain
>> controller. Please change the base domain controller and try again."  I
>> click a few more things and then I get "​​Permissions for this GPO in the
>> SYSVOL folder are inconsistent with those in Active Directory"  I click ok
>> and it apparently does nothing.
>>
>> On the Samba side the only thing I see in the logs are some complaints
>> about not being able to load the printer list.
>>
>> Is this expected to work?   How can I start to troubleshoot this?
>>

>> --
>> *     Jeff Dickens*
>>      IT Manager      978-632-1513
>> --

​It (Group Policy Management) does work on Windows 7, and not on Windows
8.1.

After putting in the folder redirection thing in the group policy I first
got this in the event log on the Windows 7 box:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\
iol.seamanpaper.com\sysvol\iol.seamanpaper.com\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini
from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may
not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient
and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain
controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).
c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

But after running samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset it works, or at least it
does on Windows 7 !

On Windows 8.1 after rebooting the client I get an event log entry that says

Successfully applied policy and redirected folder "Documents" to
"\\florence\home\test1\".  Redirection options=0x1211.

But it doesn't really work.. the "Documents" "Library" has silently
vanished from the Windows 8.1 system.  Why would that be?

​

--
*     Jeff Dickens*
     IT Manager      978-632-1513