[Samba] Samba and LDAP

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:55:18 UTC 2015

On 24/11/15 21:41, Jeff Hodson wrote:
> Hi! I'm trying to install an ejabberd server on my network. Ejabberd supports LDAP - but when I tried to get it to work, it opened a whole can of worms.
>
> Basically where I'm at now, if I use ldapseaerch to try and search for, say, a username - I get NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE - so my question is, does samba have an ldap server build in, or do I need OpenLDAP?

In answer to your question, possibly yes and possibly yes :-)

You don't tell us what version of Samba you are using or how you have
set it up. If it is a version before 4.0.0. then there is no LDAP server
builtin. If it is a version from 4.0.0, then there is an LDAP server
available, but only if you run Samba as an AD DC. You can also run Samba
4.0.0 onwards just like 3.x.x, in which case you can also use Openldap.
You cannot use Samba 4 as an AD DC with Openldap.

Rowland