[Samba] No more replication for new DC

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:35:00 UTC 2015

When I said it is robust: one reboot and the missing entry is there :)

2015-11-24 16:31 GMT+01:00 mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com>:

> The issue is (almost) solved.
> As shown the previously explained process to repair, nothing's clear about
> that resolution. Perhaps just the big clean-up was necessary, perhaps
> synchronisation of a first DC was necessary, no idea.
> Anyway replication is working, almost.
> On 4 DCs among 5:
> ldbsearch -H $sam objectclass=* dn | tail -3
> # returned 50968 records
> # 50965 entries
> # 3 referrals
> On one there is one missing entry. This DC is one of the two lately added.
> I expect that missing entry won't be missing for too much time :)
> What's good about all that? A broken DC, in certain cases, can be repaired
> without too much knowledge of Samba or AD, Samba is robust enough.
> Have a nice day all!
> mathias
> 2015-11-24 15:29 GMT+01:00 mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>> Thank you for tips Andrew, unfortunately I have vague notions about C and
>> these notions are growing old. I was not able to understand anything there
>> except that the function descriptor_modify(module, sub_req) was not
>> successful, without the slightest idea about what could contain variables
>> module or sub_req.
>> Anyway, last few hours I was working on that subject.
>> I first opened DNS tool from RSAT on Windows and remove all traces of old
>> DCs, everywhere.
>> I looked for '(invocationId=*)' --cross-ncs objectguid in the DB and also
>> remove manually references to old DCs.
>> I looked for CN=odlDCname and remove also the few entries and their
>> children which were remaining.
>> I also used an awk script to force creation of DNS entries mentioned by
>> "samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names", on all DCs.
>> And I have no idea if this helps.
>> Anyway I finally tried to run:
>> samba-tool drs replicate m704 m702 --add-ref --sync-forced --sync-all
>> --full-sync *--local* --kerberos yes DC=samba,DC=domain,DC=tld
>> Before that I was trying different ways to run drs replicate but always
>> without that --local switch.
>> And with that --local switch the DB was eventually replicated from m702
>> (the looking-like-broken FSMO owner) to m704 (the local server where the
>> command was ran).
>> Better: following that I've added some new users using ldif file and
>> ldbadd on m702 and this change was automatically replicated on m704.
>> So I installed another DC, joined it and waited several minutes, less
>> than 30 minutes which should have been enough, and no replication happened.
>> The whole DB one that new DC was containing 264 entries.
>> As I'm not too patient, I ran also that new server a "samba-tool drs
>> replicate..." including --local and I stopped that command few second after
>> the launch. The replication process was started after that. Did the
>> replication started because of the command or because it needed time to
>> start, no idea yet. That's why I've installed another DC, joined it and now
>> I will wait until tomorrow morning to see if replication process start by
>> himself or not.
>> Of course in the middle of all that I restarted samba and also the
>> servers. This for newly added DC and for the old ones.
>> I'll be back tomorrow or earlier to tell if replication process started
>> by himself or not.
>> Best regards,
>> mathias
>> 2015-11-24 8:51 GMT+01:00 Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:
>>> On Mon, 2015-11-16 at 16:50 +0100, mathias dufresne wrote:
>>> > transaction: operations error at
>>> > ../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/descriptor.c:1147
>>> Looking at that line in your version of Samba may give you some idea
>>> why it failed.
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>>> --
>>> Andrew Bartlett                       http://samba.org/~abartlet/
>>> Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
>>> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT
>>> http://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

More information about the samba mailing list