[Samba] Still can't figure out ACL issues

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 24 14:57:14 UTC 2015

Greetings, Rowland Penny!

> On 22/11/15 10:04, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, jimc!
>>
>>> After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I did a setfacl.
>> Unfortunately, Samba does not use POSIX ACL's, if its own ACL's are present on
>> files. (If at all.)
>> Unless you have it configured for POSIX ACL's, but that's not the case for DC.

> Samba doesn't use ACLs at all, it is just a bridge between windows and
> the underlying OS and if you set the ACLs, from windows, you can read
> them with getfacl, so why can you not set them with setfacl?

>>> Now, 'samba-tool gpo aclcheck' returns "uncaught exception -
>>> (-1073741790 'access denied')".
>> How predictable.

> Not really, it just means that the wrong ACL's were probably set.

>>> I really would appreciate any help you can offer!
>> Sorry, I have the same issue (for most part), and would like Samba being more
>> sane about integration.
>> Very much like.

> Just because you cannot get it working is no reason to come on here bad
> mouthing Samba, others can and do get it working.

Bad mouthing? Or stating the obvious?
I have SeServerOperatorPrivilege, I must be able to take ownership and change
ACL's on the shares without an issue.
Yet, I was getting constant "access denied" and "take ownership" tab was blank.
Took me almost a year of trial and error to finally find the right incantation
to fix the permission issues from Linux terminal.
No thanks to your childish behavior.
Now, you can place my address back into your spam filters, from which it
apparently escaped (or were you lying and it wasn't there in first place?)

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...