[Samba] attempting to administer DNS

Jeff Hodson jeff.hodson at identitygroup.com
Mon Nov 23 23:18:00 UTC 2015

Hi guys, I'm trying to add a jabber server to the network. It likes to use the hostname "chat.idg.tn.us" so I want to add that to the DNS backend of samba, so that my workstations which use the samba server for DNS can resolve it.

I assume I need to add an entry that says "hostname exsists at this IP: 128.10.10.17" so i'm using the command "samba-tool dns add 128.10.10.16 chat.idg.tn.us demo A 128.10.10.17" but i get "UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION: werr_dns_error_name_does_not_exist" what am i doing wrong?