[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Sun Nov 22 03:43:23 UTC 2015

I can prove this within my environment:
at the main site: one DC server(samba 4.1.13), one dhcp server, two DNS
servers(forward AD query to two AD servers),
at the branch site: one DC server(samba 4.1.13), one dhcp server, one
DNS server(forward AD query to two AD server),
DNSs on client machines point to the DNS servers(not point to the DC).
The two DCs are synced and do their work properly without any
issue(almost one year, connected via openVPN).
Two sites are configured(using windows sites and services tool):
    one site for branch with its subnet, and the Default-First-Site-Name
for the main site with its subnets.
Clients at branch automatically log in to the branch DC, and clients at
the main site automatically log in to the main site DC.
Everything is working as supposed.
but one thing doesn't work as the subject says:
I power off the DC at the main site, or just kill samba process, login
hangs at main site.
I start samba service, I can log in immediately.
I don't know why it doesn't use the DC at branch site when the main site
DC is offline.

If anybody has similar settings, can you share your experience when one
DC is offline?

Thanks,
Allen

DC at branch site,