[Samba] Samba4 DC is not visible in network neighborhood

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Sat Nov 21 18:33:00 UTC 2015

Greetings, Viktor Trojanovic!

>> Is there at last a solution? I've only found questions, in the list, and on
>> the network.
>>
>> The issue is that DC built on Samba4 does not report to network browsers
>> neither it is participating in election to become browser itself.
>> Consequently, it is not visible in the neighborhood neither on Windows, nor on
>> Linux.
>>
>> I've managed to force a second Linux host (member server) become a local
>> browser. At least, I can see it and other hosts now. But not the DC itself.
>>

> Hi Andrey,

> In that case you did exactly what you were supposed to do. :)

> Browsing is turned off for the DC by design, and this will not change.
> Use member servers to implement browsing.

And how am I supposed to address the DC then?
For all my attempts, I've had to conclude that member servers can't be
configured to manage shares with native ACL's. No matter what I do, I always
get "access denied" on a member server when trying to setup share permissions
on a member server using Windows tools.
So far, the only solution was to move ACL-sensitive services to the DC.
But this is really not a solution. Only a workaround.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...