[Samba] Permission Issues with GPO

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:57:58 UTC 2015

On 19/11/15 10:37, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:

> On 18.11.2015 12:24, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Yep. gidNumber 515, both inside the range yes. (range starts at 500)

>>> Permissions on disk:
>>>
>>> MJ
>>>

>> OK, I think I understand this, Mourik is setting this on the share:
>>
>> valid users = @"Domain Admins", @"Domain Computers"
>>
>> This means that only members of the 'Domain Admins'  or 'Domain
>> Computers' groups can connect to the share, whilst Louis has this
>> showing in his ACLs from getfacl:
>>
>> Creator owner    special.     Only folders and files on underlying
>> folders.
>> Creator group    special.     Only folders and files on underlying
>> folders.
>> Verified users    read+exec    This folder  underlying folders and files
>> Domain Admins     Full        This folder  underlying folders and files
>> Domain users     read+exec    This folder  underlying folders and files
>> Domain computers    read+exec    This folder  underlying folders and
>> files
>>
>> Which gives (amongst others) 'Domain Admins' full control and 'Domain
>> Computer' read+exec permissions.
>>
>> With Mourik's way of doing things, 'Domain Computers' must be known
>> to Unix, hence the required gidNumber
>>
>> Louis's way will probably rely on winbind mapping 'Domain Computers'
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Hi all,
>
> So I had some time today to study the whole thread once more and see
> if I can finally get it to work. The good news is, yes, it works now.
> But I don't yet understand what the problem initially was, and I also
> would like to know if the way I got it to work is really optimal.
>
> At first, I tried Louis' suggestion. In contrast to MJ, I did not
> change my share permissions, they just contained "everybody:full
> control" from the start. All I did, though, when I realized I had an
> issue with the access on a computer level, I added the "domain
> computers" group to the windows ACL of the Samba share. Since getent
> group wouldn't reveal domain computers on the linux station, of
> course, since I have AD type ID mapping, I added a uid to the group
> "domain computers".
>
> I still wouldn't work, so I tried Louis' advice and added the line
> acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes to the share but that didn't solve
> the issue, either, same error messages.
>
> But once, I set a uid and gid for the PC as MJ suggested, it finally
> worked.
>
> - Is it really necessary to specifically give access to "domain
> computers" on a share in order to be accessed in computer mode? Would
> this work in the same way in a Windows AD?
> - At what level does it have to be set? Is it necessary at share level
> or would folder level have been sufficient? Would this have any
> influence on the outcome?
> - Why did it work for Louis without setting uid/gid and I had to?
> After all, my configuration is closer to Louis' than to MJ's. I didn't
> [...]

Louis probably has something like this in smb.conf

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
    idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
    idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config SAMDOM:range = 10000-99999

If a user or group has a uidNumber or gidNumber and is part of the
'SAMDOM' domain and the id number is inside '10000-99999, then it is
treated as part of the domain, any numbers outside the range are ignored.
If a user or group doesn't have a uidNumber or gidNumber and isn't part
of the 'SAMDOM' domain i.e. BUILTIN\Administrators , then winbind maps
them to a number inside the range '2000-9999', but because these numbers
are less than '10000' they do not show with getent. If you create a file
as a member of 'Domain Admins' on a domain member share (when the group
doesn't have a gidNumber) and then check the ownership of said file, you
will find that the group is shown as a number 2xxx

Rowland