[Samba] Win Clients and DNS

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:52:32 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 1:46 PM, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:

>>> Rowland, it might be that the linked page explains why the register
>>> fails but it doesn't say to solve the problem by stopping the
>>> machines to try to register their address. As you might have seen
>>> later in the discussion thread, there were differing opinions
>>> whether it is ok to uncheck that box or not. If dynamic registration
>>> is not needed/possible with Samba DNS and that box should be
>>> unchecked, then this might be something worth knowing, and maybe
>>> should be part of the wiki.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> Viktor
>>>

>> This doesn't sound like a issue but the intended behavior of windows.
>>
>> It's OK to uncheck that box if assigning IP addresses to
>> workstations. However I would advise against it. IP's would never get
>> updated in DNS if you needed to make a change to one of the
>> workstations. You would have to re enable this check box and most
>> importantly, remember to do this manually. Opens room for headaches
>> and additional administration.  A better solution would be to create
>> a GPO to prevent dynamic updates. This "error" can be safely ignored
>> if you don't require dynamic updates.
>>
>> Dynamic registration is required if not using static IP's. It's also
>> possible with Samba. This depends on the Samba version you are using
>> and if you're using the internal or bind solution.
>>

> Maybe I'm too tired but I have trouble understanding. So you're saying
> that if I leave the check there, and some time down the road decide to
> change an IP, it will register the correct IP back to the computer
> name. But didn't we just establish that this update is not happening?
> Or are there multiple types of DNS registration, such as dynamic and
> non-dynamic?
>
> And thanks for the advice about the GPO, I will look into that.
>
> By the way, just to be on the safe side: I'm using Samba internal DNS,
> without any customizations, version 4.31.

This is your problem

*I'm using Samba internal DNS, without any customizations, version 4.31.

*It's a bug that causes signed secure updates to fail. Either enable non
secure updates( I wouldn't advise) or switch to bind. I would do neither
as you are currently using static IP's. Disregard the error in event
viewer until a update or patch has been released.

Now to answer your questions

*Maybe I'm too tired but I have trouble understanding. So you're saying
that if I leave the check there, and some time down the road decide to
change an IP, it will register the correct IP back to the computer name?

*Yes.*

**But didn't we just establish that this update is not happening?

*Yes..*BUT *the update succeeds during join. It's on the subsequent
update attempts that fail. See above bug.

*Or are there multiple types of DNS registration, such as dynamic and
non-dynamic?

*You have dynamic and non dynamic updates. Dynamic meaning it's done for
your by workstation/DHCP server. Non-dynamic meaning by the Administrator.

--
-James