[Samba] Win Clients and DNS

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Mon Nov 16 18:46:36 UTC 2015

On 16.11.2015 18:42, James wrote:

>>> You are probably right James, the OP initially gave the impression
>>> that he didn't have the workstations records in DNS, this has been
>>> proven to be incorrect, they are there. He also muddied the waters
>>> with saying they are all fixed IPs, so it seems that everbody
>>> focussed in on DNS problems, totally missing that it is a WINDOWS
>>> problem, see here:
>>>
>>> http://support.simpledns.com/kb/a182/system-failed-to-register-host-resource-records-rrs-network-adapter___-warning-windows-event-log.aspx
>>>

>>> So, to fix his problem, stop the windows machines from trying to
>>> register their address in DNS.
>>>
>>> A quick google found this, first on the list.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> Rowland, it might be that the linked page explains why the register
>> fails but it doesn't say to solve the problem by stopping the
>> machines to try to register their address. As you might have seen
>> later in the discussion thread, there were differing opinions whether
>> it is ok to uncheck that box or not. If dynamic registration is not
>> needed/possible with Samba DNS and that box should be unchecked, then
>> this might be something worth knowing, and maybe should be part of
>> the wiki.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Viktor
>>

> This doesn't sound like a issue but the intended behavior of windows.
>
> It's OK to uncheck that box if assigning IP addresses to workstations.
> However I would advise against it. IP's would never get updated in DNS
> if you needed to make a change to one of the workstations. You would
> have to re enable this check box and most importantly, remember to do
> this manually. Opens room for headaches and additional
> administration.  A better solution would be to create a GPO to prevent
> dynamic updates. This "error" can be safely ignored if you don't
> require dynamic updates.
>
> Dynamic registration is required if not using static IP's. It's also
> possible with Samba. This depends on the Samba version you are using
> and if you're using the internal or bind solution.

Maybe I'm too tired but I have trouble understanding. So you're saying
that if I leave the check there, and some time down the road decide to
change an IP, it will register the correct IP back to the computer name.
But didn't we just establish that this update is not happening? Or are
there multiple types of DNS registration, such as dynamic and non-dynamic?

And thanks for the advice about the GPO, I will look into that.

By the way, just to be on the safe side: I'm using Samba internal DNS,
without any customizations, version 4.31.