[Samba] Win Clients and DNS

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:52:22 UTC 2015

On 16/11/15 16:35, James wrote:
> On 11/16/2015 11:15 AM, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:
>>

>> On 16.11.2015 16:54, Ole Traupe wrote:
>>> Is this your first-and-only DC ever for that domain?
>>>
>>> Did you try to re-join the Win clients with deleting the client
>>> objects after the 'leave'?
>>>
>>> Ole
>>>

>> Yes, first and only. As I said, it's more or less a lab setup that I
>> was planning to deploy on a very small scale.
>>
>> Re-join the win clients after deletion: I'm not sure what you mean.
>> Leaving the domain, then deleting the computer accounts in the AD?
>> What would the purpose of that be?
>>
>> Rowland and I came to the conclusion that it can't be a DNS issue.
>> And I checked the AD db, there are no errors there either.
>>
>> Viktor

You are probably right James, the OP initially gave the impression that
he didn't have the workstations records in DNS, this has been proven to
be incorrect, they are there. He also muddied the waters with saying
they are all fixed IPs, so it seems that everbody focussed in on DNS
problems, totally missing that it is a WINDOWS problem, see here:

http://support.simpledns.com/kb/a182/system-failed-to-register-host-resource-records-rrs-network-adapter___-warning-windows-event-log.aspx

So, to fix his problem, stop the windows machines from trying to
register their address in DNS.

A quick google found this, first on the list.

Rowland