[Samba] Win Clients and DNS

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Mon Nov 16 14:53:37 UTC 2015

On 16.11.2015 15:34, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 16/11/15 14:18, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:
>> On 16.11.2015 14:22, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>>> More explained..
>>>
>>> Only my laptops get a DHCP IP.
>>> All my other computers have static ip.
>>>
>>> After the AD join, it does not matter if
>>> 1) a desktop pc, when a static IP changes for a computer.
>>> 2) a laptop gets a different IP.
>>> The PC always updates its A and PTR
>>>
>>> So, in both cases my A and PTR records are changed in the DNS.
>>>
>>> Maybe an firewall setting on you pc is blocking the update to the
>>> dns server or on the server you now allowing the dns updates.
>>>
>>> Can you have a look into that?
>>>
>>> Greetz,
>>>
>>> Louis
>>>
>> OK, so my situation is as follow:
>>
>> - NDS A and PTR are manually set on the Samba DNS for all domain members
>> - All clients have fixed IP addresses and are in the same subnet as
>> the Samba server
>> - I disabled the Windows Firewall just to make sure there is no block
>> on the PC either
>>
>> ==> No change, I still get the same error message in the windows
>> event viewer.
>>
>> If I look at the error message, one line which seems wrong is
>>
>> ----> Sent update to server: <?>
>>
>> It does give the correct IP address in the following line but is this
>> how it should look?
>>
>> Viktor
>>

> OK, just had a thought, is the DC the *only* dns server in the Samba
> domain ?
>
> Rowland

Yes, absolutely.

On another topic, you saw my thread on sysvolreset. It's driving me
nuts. Everytime I run sysvolreset (which takes ages), and subsequently
run sysvolcheck, the error message names a different folder than the
sysvolcheck before. What's up with that? Is that normal? How often am I
supposed to run sysvolreset to make it work? Mind you, I only have 8
policies, no scripts or other files, and it's the only DC. And the DB
check command ran with 0 errors.

Viktor