[Samba] No more replication for new DC

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:40:01 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have 3 DCs running Samba 4.3.1 in the same domain. They seem to work
quiet well with coherent databases on each of them.

After rebuilding my RPM to include systemd units, I've joined a Samba 4.3.1
today, using --domain-critical-only. The join was successful, the
replication was not. This DC has only 146 objects in the DB when it should
have a bit less than 50000 objects.

As I was suspecting the newly built RPMs, I set up another DC using same
RPMs as the ones used to prepare first 3 DC. I joined that 5th DC to the
domain, successfully, but replication does not work too.

Finally I installed 4.2.5 sernet's version, join it to the domain and still
replication does not work.

In log.samba from newly added DC there are lines:
[2015/11/16 14:25:05.966500,  0]
../source4/dsdb/repl/replicated_objects.c:818(dsdb_replicated_objects_commit)
  ../source4/dsdb/repl/replicated_objects.c:818 Failed to prepare commit of
transaction: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/descriptor.c:1147
[2015/11/16 14:25:05.968151,  0]
../source4/dsdb/repl/drepl_out_helpers.c:770(dreplsrv_op_pull_source_apply_changes_trigger)
  Failed to commit objects:
WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE/NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

Coming repetitively.

One important thing is I changed FSMO owner on that domain once I switched
from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1.
As already discussed seizing FSMO does not modify DNS entry for SOA so I'd
modified that manually plus lot of others entries to remove traces of old
DCs. There is no more LDAP entry for these old DCs.

If someone has some idea to solve that, he would be welcomed :)

Cheers,

mathias