[Samba] samba's source code won't compile on ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 16 11:03:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-15 at 11:18 -0600, Matthew Delfino wrote:

> I’m sure you already deduced this, but compiling from source is not
> my normal way of installing software on Ubuntu. Usually Canonical
> gives me a package that meets my needs. But they stopped at Samba
> 4.1.6 and a lot of us need those newer features in later releases.

The background here is that Samba 4.2 was never packaged for Debian,
due to conflicts between it and the system Heimdal it was attempting to
link with.  Samba 4.3 is being prepared in Debian experimental, and
will flow down to Debian unstable and testing soon.  Ubuntu will
probably pick the package up from there.

Andrew Bartlett