[Samba] samba's source code won't compile on ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:47:33 UTC 2015

On 15/11/15 14:55, dropxp-bato at yahoo.it wrote:
> hi everybody sorry for the delay but I think we have different time zones
>
>> ER, did you actually ask anything there :-D
>> What is wrong with the distro version of Samba ?
>> What errors are you getting?
>> I have had a look at this page on the linuxfromscratch wiki:
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/samba.html
>> Hmm, Required
>> Python-2.7.10
>> Just a bit different from the samba wiki:
>> apt-get install acl attr autoconf bison build-essential \>debhelper dnsutils docbook-xml docbook-xsl flex gdb krb5-user \>libacl1-dev libaio-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libbsd-dev \>libcap-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls-dev libjson-perl \>libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libparse-yapp-perl \>libpopt-dev libreadline-dev perl perl-modules pkg-config \>python-all-dev python-dev python-dnspython python-crypto \>xsltproc zlib1g-dev
>> You may get better results if you follow the Samba wiki: >https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page
>> Rowland
> i have two error from samba and the system,first,when i logon into the ssh the system tell me "failed to add user tecnos".for second (when i write sudo -s or sudo su) this;
> [code]Failed to open /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdbtdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_getsampwnam: failed to open /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb!tdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_getsampwnam: failed to open /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb!tdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_new_rid: failed to open /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb![/code]i've search on google this error string and google link me to ubuntu US forum to a post that say this is a bug of the version of samba for my distro.(the version is 4.1.6).beyond this smbd and nmbd is impossibile to start

I don't think that error has anything to do with samba, it looks more
like a sudo error, I used to use 4.1.6 on Linux Mint and never had a
problem with it.

>> Trying to setup GPO for a samba 4.3.0 AD using the windows 10 RSAT client.>Getting error
>> Group Policy Management>A processing error occured collecting data using this base domain>controller. Please change the base domain controller and try again.
>> I've seen this mentioned before in the list but haven't seen any solutions>Robert
> I'm sorry but I can't understand what you mean , and still don't have a domain controller in my house
>
>> This is a little rough, but I recently did this with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS and Samba source code 4.3.1:..............>You’ll also need some init shell scripts to put in /etc/init.d, but I couldn’t find any good examples on the web. I hope this helps!
>> Thanks,>Matthew
> thank you Matthew,yes this help,Because now i know that should install debian and hope all works.ps i don't run sudo apt-get upgrade because pyload after the upgrade doesn't work.ups!i have already run ./configure and make as root.......bye

OK, choose a distro and then follow instructions on how to set up an AD
DC on that distro, can I suggest that you could do worse than follow the
instructions on the Samba wiki: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

As for a distro, well, as you are used to Ubuntu, you could use 14.04,
or Debian instead

Rowland