[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Tue Nov 10 21:31:54 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 11:59 AM, buhorojo wrote:
> On 10/11/15 17:47, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 09:14:13AM +0100, buhorojo wrote:
>>> We don't think that is fair. We may not represent the views of the
>>> developers but we do feel that we are entitled to air our views
>>> here. We have support off-list, mainly from those who feel
>>> restricted in what they say here. Please do not use your power to
>>> restrict free speech. Criticism of this project is positive. There
>>> are long running bugs that need addressing. We would like to be able
>>> to direct those who have come up against them toward alternatives
>>> which are available now whilst at the same time help those who have
>>> come up against the same problems we faced when using Samba in our
>>> projects.
>>>
>>> Please reconsider your position.
>> You are welcome individually, but not as a
>> collective. Individuals can be delt with
>> well, individually. As a collective you
>> are unbearable.
>>
>> Make separate email addresses for each of
>> your members. There are free email
>> services to use. Individually you are
>> very welcome to come and discuss and
>> criticise the project constructively
>> (note this does not include blanket
>> 'Samba sucks' kind of postings, which
>> are not at all helpful).
>>
>> I will not reconsider a ban on your collective.
>>
>> Jeremy.
>
> The whole point of project work is to work as a team. To have all of
> us giving the same collective opinion is pointless.

Isn't that what you're doing when you use a "group" mail address? (logic)

And, IF by chance, you really do wish to speak as a "group," them elect
someone to act as spokesman.

> We all have file collaboration as part of our projects. Whilst we are
> not obliged to give feedback, we would like to be able to do so. As
> students, we believe we have useful points to make and from what we
> hear off-list, our contributions are welcome. We believe you are using
> your position of power to authorise censorship. It is easy for list
> members to ignore our posts should they so wish.

And, I've ignored many of them.  That doesn't mean they don't become
tedious.

Far more important than the ability to exercise "free speech" is being
able to contribute to a conversation as opposed to drawing attention
away from a discussion to offer alternatives the OP may or may not consider.

Yes, there are alternatives, but drawing people away from Samba for the
sake of those alternatives does not contribute to the development of
Samba (even incorporating some of the options found in the alternatives)

No one is denying your "free speech," just asking that it not be done
collectively.

> Our aim apart from getting the best possible grade in our examinations
> is to be able to give our opinions freely. We do not seek anything
> more than the freedom to voice our opinion. You seem to think that we
> are destructively criticising your work. We are not.

As I said, I ignore most of your posts, but those I've scrutinized seem
more to me as drawing attention to yourselves by suggesting alternatives
than supporting the ongoing resolution of problems with Samba.

That's destructive by nature, though the intent may not be there.

> We merely see alternatives to the way you would have us work.

Then use those alternatives to your heart's content and leave Samba to
those who wish to use it.

> Please try not to take our comments so personally. We are discussing a
> piece of software, there is nothing to be offended about.
> Thank you

Nothing I've written is meant to provoke anger or dissatisfaction. The
decision is made.  You need to find a way around it instead of
protesting, and as Jeremy suggests, you have the option of using
individual mail accounts.

cheers