[Samba] NT ACL preservation

Andrew Hart fraggle at achart.me.uk
Tue Nov 10 03:22:12 UTC 2015

Hey, hoping I can get some guidance on how this works.

I've got a running samba standalone setup.  On one of my shares, I want to
preserve the ACL of files as they come from the client (Win 7), in essence
acting as a file backup.  My setup for this share is currently:

valid users = @wheel
public = no
writeable = yes
vfs objects = btrfs acl_xattr
# acl_xattr: ignore system acls = yes
# map acl inherit = yes
store dos attributes = yes

My problem is that at some point in the chain, the ACLs are getting
stripped out.  When I pull files back, they simply inherit the permissions
of the target folder.

I currently have two test files with different permission settings that I
use to try to work out what is going on.  If I getfattr -n security.NTACL,
the output for each file is slightly different, but smbcacls gives the
same output for both files.  Uncommenting the map acl inherit line creates
the user.SAMBA_PAI, but I don't really have a clue what doing that does or
doesn't get me, so not sure whether to use it.  I'm pretty sure I want
'ignore system acls' but uncommenting that line results in the test files
no longer getting either security.NTACL or user.SAMBA_PAI.  I've had a
rummage through the logs, but nothing seems to indicate a problem,
although I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

I know copying by Windows Explorer results in stripping out permissions,
but is there a preferred way on windows to send files to the share for
this purpose?  I've tested with Robocopy and FreeFileSync.  They both
result in the behaviour described above.

Regards,

Andrew Hart