[Samba] sernet <-> self compiled migration

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Nov 9 20:16:44 UTC 2015

Hello,

Am 09.11.2015 um 10:16 schrieb d tbsky:
>    when I upgrade samba AD from 4.1 to 4.2, I migrate from self compiled to
> sernet package, so I move files manually from /usr/local/samba/var to
> /var/lib/samba and /var/cache/samba.
>
>    now I want to upgrade to 4.3, this time I need to migrate from sernet
> package to self compiled (unlucky me). and I found this time move files
> back to /usr/local/samba/var is harder, since I need to know which file
> belongs to which directory.  I know some content of the directories can be
> auto-recreated, so I don' t need to preserve them. but I want to make sure:
>
> /usr/local/samba/var/cache -> will it auto recreate and I can skip files in
> it?
> /usr/local/samba/var/lock -> will it auto recreate and I can skip files in
> it?
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks -> I think this is critical and I need to move
> files belongs here correctly?
> /usr/local/samba/var/run -> I am not sure about this directory. should I
> move any files back to it?

When you compile Samba, you can use the various ./configure options, to
set the paths to the same like SerNet uses.

This prevents that you forgot to to move something. Or, if you use
BIND9_DLZ that there are hard links in private/dns/sam.ldb.d/ that may
get lost during copy what leads into two separate database files instead
of one.

Check out
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_source
There are some examples for setting paths during ./configure.

If you want to know the locations for the folders on your current
installation, see the last section of the guide.

Regards,
Marc