[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Sun Nov 8 14:40:04 UTC 2015

On 15:27:22 wrote Rowland Penny:
> On 08/11/15 11:08, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 8 November 2015 at 10:49, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:
> >> This is how it works in rsync:
> > [...]
> >
> >> I have always used rsync to replicate the sysvol.
> >> And always used local xids. But being mainly a
> >> file-server guy, I have also not managed many Samba
> >> AD/DC environments. So I am really more than willing
> >> to learn from others' experience here.
> >
> > This is the major area I have had problems with in the past, same
> > as Rowland and many others I expect.
> >
> > I should probably look into it in a little more detail to be
> > honest; last time I tried it it was a little bit of a black art
> > but I ended up fixing it by a combination of
> > - switching to rfc2307
> > - allocating all groups and users a GID/UID, including the
> > 'BUILTIN' ones - copying idmap.ldb between my DCs
> >
> > Despite all this, I still have files owned by 'raw' UIDs on my DCs
> > (these map to 'BUILTIN\Authenticated Users' and 'BUILTIN\Local
> > System') e.g.
> >
> > [root at dc ~# getfacl /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
> > getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> > # file: usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
> > # owner: root
> > # group: administrators
> > user::rwx
> > user:root:rwx
> > user:3000013:r-x
> > user:3000140:rwx
> > [...]
> > [root at dc ~]# net cache list | egrep "(0013|00140)"
> > Key: IDMAP/GID2SID/3000140       Timeout: Sun Nov 15 04:04:35 2015
> >
> >    Value: S-1-5-18
> >
> > Key: IDMAP/UID2SID/3000013       Timeout: Sun Nov 15 03:23:23 2015
> >
> >    Value: S-1-5-11
> >
> > but replication does seem to work across DCs via rsync at the
> > moment.
> >
> > I suspect this is another thread entirely from the bug we have been
> > discussing, though :) Maybe there's a way I can add the rfc2307
> > attributes to these two SIDs (although I haven't found it yet)
>
> You cannot add uid/gidNumber attributes to BUILTIN users/groups,
> well, you can, but they are ignored, I know, I tried.
My expierience is different. I do this for round about 10 years in NT
and AD style samba domains and have had no problems.

Sure "authenticated users", "local system" and all "groups" which are
managed by the Windows OS will never work on an unix like OS. But groups
which simply contain other groups like Administrators or Users works for
me. I use nslcd as nss daemon, mostly, but I know it works also with
other nss provider like winbindd.

--

Regards
	Harry Jede