[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sat Nov 7 23:28:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-07 at 22:20 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 07/11/15 21:29, Michael Adam wrote:

> >>Can I introduce you to the concept of an all Unix AD domain?
> >
> >Please do!
>
> I would have thought it was fairly obvious, an AD domain
> without *any* windows machines.

A-ha!

> For this you would need the RFC2307 attributes, something that
> doesn't happen on the DC at present.

Ok, why do you strictly need it?
I understand that it gives you a better feeling,
and it may be convenient but which scenario really
requires it? Most important is the central auth db.
If the IDs on the various DCs and members in the
domain do not have the same sets of unix IDs, then
nevertheless
- local login will work.
- ssh login will work.
- rsync will work if not using --numeric-ids.
- cifs mount will work.
What else does one need that would _require_
identical ids?

All member servers could even have the same
IDs by rfc attributes (or an ldap or rid idmap config).

> I know that AD was a microsoft invention, but this doesn't make
> it a bad idea :-) and whilst Samba needs to be compatible with
> microsoft AD, there is no reason why it cannot build on it for
> a Unix AD domain, or to put it another way, SSO for Unix.

No problem at all with that!
Just was a little dense initially... ;-)

Cheers - Michael