[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sat Nov 7 18:21:18 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-07 at 17:11 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 07/11/15 17:01, Michael Adam wrote:

> >>The problem is, sssd now uses its own version of winbind, this came in (I
> >>believe) with version 1.12.0 but I 'think' red-hat backport some things to
> >>earlier versions. As I understand it, you will be probably be using
> >>1.11.6-30 and it is the '30' that says what it contains, perhaps you are
> >>using winbindd and don't realise it.
> >As of Version 4.2, the Samba AD/DC is using winbindd by default.
> >It is started by the samba daemon. Samba is designed to work
> >with winbindd. sssd does not contain its own winbind, but it
> >implements some parts of the winbind protocol. So my suggestion
> >is to remove sss from /etc/nsswitch.conf and use winbind instead.
> >This is how it is designed to work.
> >
> >Also, for all I know, the DC always has local unix user and group
> >IDs, and does NOT use the rfc2307 attributes for this. (Unless
> >this has changed recently, but I can't imagine how.) So there is
> >nothing wrong with samba not using the rfc ids on the DC -- this is
> >how it works by design.
> >

> On the DC the users & groups get xidNumbers from idmap.ldb, but if they are
> given uidNumbers and gidNumbers, these will be used instead. As far as I am
> aware, it has always worked like this.

Possibly. The current sid_to_unixid code works like this:

if config has "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = true":
  if sam.ldb contains rfc uid/gid in AD object:
    use it
# fall through
if idmap.ldb contains mapping
  use it
else:
  create new mapping in idmap.ldb
  use it

So there is a config option, which default to "false"
but is set to true in provision if --use-rfc2307 was given
to the provision cmdline.

But if this is enabled, this is really bad, especially
when using the DC extensively as a file server (which
should avoided anyways, if possible):

- Assume a user is created in AD.
- That user is not immediately given a rfc user id.
- The users accesses the DC as file server.
  A idmap.ldb entrie is created and these ids end up
  in the files the user creates.
- Later the admin gives this user an rfc user id.
  (different from the idmap.ldb uid)
- Next time the user accesses the DC as file server, it
  can not access his previously created files.

I may have missed somthing in the code, but it looks like
this to me.  So I would currently suggest to avoid:

a) using the DC as a file server (I suggest that anyways)
b) using the rfc attributes on the DC itself.

> The only problem with using the DC as a fileserver is that the users
> unixhomedirectory and loginshell are ignored,

Not the only. See above.

> this is why people use sssd
> etc, if somebody (and don't ask me, to me 'C' comes between 'B' & 'D') would
> make samba on the DC use all the RFC2307 attributes, there would be no need
> to use sssd or nlscd.

It should not be too big a problem to use the homedir etc
attribs in principle.  I think we could and (should) do that.
At least controlled by a config option (possibly the same as
above).

But the biggest problem I see is the creation of the unixIDs:

I do not see how this can be reliably done, at least in a
multi-DC environment.  And for sure not in a heterogenious one
(with Samba and Windows DCs):

Assume that we change the DC to only use the rfc UIDs
so that the fallback to idmap.ldb described above is not done.
(I think this is the only reasonable way to go about it.)

Then a newly created account is useless until it is given a
unix ID in AD. So my assumption is that this should be done
automatically when the user / group is created.

Now the problem with multiple DCs is that this is a local
operation changing the global database which is later replicated
with other DCs. There is no mechanism (I am aware of) in AD
to protect from two admins on two different dcs to set the same
UID on different users. For RIDs there is the rid master FSMO
role, and a similar concept would be needed for unixids in order
to make this reliable. But there is no such thing in AD.

For a pure Samba domain, we could probably invent our own
protocol extension for doing this, but it would not be
possible to use it in a heterogenious environment (which
may not be too bad), but it is also not trivial to implement.

Because of these fundamental problems, I repeat my pov:

- don't use the rfc attrs on the dc (at least not by default)
- don't use the DC as a file server

In a small domain, with a single admin who conciously
creates all users and groups, ideally always on the same DC,
all these problems can be avoided.

But when we proved such mechanisms in Samba, the should be rock
solid, also in a big multi-DC multi-Admin environment.

So I think what we could do is this:

- make "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307" strict (no fallback to idmap.ldb)
- make this parameter (or a new one) use the other unix attrs from ad

This would then still need manual creation of the unix IDs, but
it would be a first step.

Cheers - Michael