[Samba] Problem with DNS configuration and "host" command . . .

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:01:23 UTC 2015

On 05/11/15 18:40, Steve Ankeny wrote:
> On 11/05/2015 12:14 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 05.11.2015 um 18:08 schrieb Steve Ankeny:
>>> 'network-manager' is not installed but 'resolvconf' is --
>>>
>>> adam at eagle:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>>> resolvconf(8)
>>> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>>> nameserver 192.168.121.149
>>> search smbdomain.com
>>> adam at eagle:~$
>>>
>>> I DID NOT EDIT 'resolv.conf'
>>
>> but if dhcp is part of the game it is updated automatically until you
>> set peernds=no
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=peernds
>>

> Ubuntu says to set a static ip in 'interfaces' (and, I thought that
> stopped DHCP)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/network-configuration.html#ip-addressing
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/network-configuration.html#name-resolution
>

> I'm not getting any errors.  I'm not sure I need to make a change?
>
> The only instances of "peerdns" seem to be related to 'pppd' (which
> we're not using)
>
> adam at eagle:/$ sudo grep "peerdns" -r /etc
> /etc/ppp/peers/provider:usepeerdns
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0000usepeerdns:# this variable is only set if the
> usepeerdns pppd option is being used
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0dns-up:# conjunction with pppd's usepeerdns option
> it also handles dynamic dns.
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0dns-up:# DNS1 and DNS2 are variables exported by
> pppd when using 'usepeerdns'.
> /etc/init.d/pppd-dns:[ -x /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/0000usepeerdns ] \
> /etc/init.d/pppd-dns:   && exec /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/0000usepeerdns
> adam at eagle:/$

The thing with Ubuntu is that out of the box it generally uses dhcp,
with Network Manager using dnsmasq as a dns cache, this does strange
things to /etc/hosts. You may find that you have a line in /etc/hosts
that starts '127.0.1.1' you may also find that '127.0.0.1' points to
your fqdn, if either of these are there, I would advise removing them,
'127.0.0.1' should just point to localhost, even on a DHCP machine. On a
fixed ip machine, you should have a line similar to this:

192.168.0.6    client.domain.com    client
Where the hostname is 'client' in the domain 'domain.com' with the ip of
192.168.0.6

If I am installing a DC on a machine, I usually remove Network Manager
and resolvconf if they are installed and set the machine to a fixed ip
and a fixed resolv.conf.

Rowland