[Samba] Using samba-python to query AD? Status of API?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 16:38:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Rowland Penny
<rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/15 14:59, pisymbol . wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Rowland Penny
>> <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, you want to search AD with python, as in 'ldbsearch -H
>>> /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb' (this will dump the AD database)
>>> You will find lots of 'examples' in the python 'samba' directory that an
>>> install of a samba DC creates, these are used by samba-tool, well
>>> actually,
>>> they are samba-tool :-)
>>
>> No, I don't want to dump the LDB, I want to query an actual Windows DC
>> (same as 'net ads search' command).
>
> That was just an example, but why are you asking on a Samba mailing list for
> information on howto query a windows DC??
>
> You can use ldbsearch or ldapsearch for this, or use windows tools from a
> windows machine.

Yes, I understand all that. But the 'net ads search' wrapper is a lot
nicer than the openldap clients.

But perhaps you're right, maybe OpenLDAP is indeed what I really want
and are a bit misguided by leveraging 'net ads search' stuff out of
the samba tools so heavily.

-aps