[Samba] Internal DNS logging

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:18:35 UTC 2015

On 11/4/2015 4:13 PM, John Gardeniers wrote:
> Nobody? Surely somebody knows where Samba 4 logs its DNS queries, or
> was this was a huge oversight and the internal DNS doesn't get logged
> at all, as appears to be suggested by my utter failure to locate such
> logs.
>
> On 28/10/15 14:28, John Gardeniers wrote:
>> We're using the Sernet Samba v4.2.4 with internal DNS and I can't
>> find the DNS logs. Where does the Samba 4 internal DNS log queries?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> regards,
>> John

I've found increasing the log level of samba to 9 or 10 will usually
give me the DNS logs I require. Depending on how you configured your
server. You may find them in

'/usr/local/samba/var/log.samba'

This along with Wireshark has been enough to debug. I found out why
secure dynamic updates no longer work with this method.

--
-James