[Samba] Internal DNS logging

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:21:40 UTC 2015

On 04/11/15 22:02, John Gardeniers wrote:
> Thanks Marc,
>
> That's a nice unambiguous answer, so I'll stop looking.
>
> I really doubt I'll be doing any coding on Samba, so it's kind of
> unlikely I'll be supplying a patch. If I did create a patch it would
> be to return to BIND flat files, so that the DNS can be made fully
> functional again.
>
> regards,
> John
>

> On 05/11/15 08:25, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello John,
>>
>> Am 04.11.2015 um 22:13 schrieb John Gardeniers:
>>> Nobody? Surely somebody knows where Samba 4 logs its DNS queries, or
>>> was
>>> this was a huge oversight and the internal DNS doesn't get logged at
>>> all, as appears to be suggested by my utter failure to locate such
>>> logs.
>> Samba doesn't log DNS queries.
>>
>> Patches are welcome. :-)
>>

>> Regards,
>> Marc

Just because you want to use samba with bind flat files doesn't make it
the right thing to do. I have have been using bind9 dlz with samba4 for
3 years now and it does what it is supposed to do, I know there are a
few things that need sorting, but they are minor and I am sure they will
get fixed eventually.

I wouldn't bother rushing to create a patch to make flat files work
again, I don't think it would be accepted.

Rowland